Monday, April 13, 2009

Backlog!! and Beef Stroganoff

Hello! It's been a while hasn't it!?? I know I've been a bad blogger and I promise to make more frequent updates (really, I will:)) I've still been taking pictures of most of the meals I have cooked the past few months so at least I've been on top of that! The next few posts will be from recipes I made weeks (or months) ago, but better late than never, right!?? Once I get caught up I'll try to start posting my weekly menus again and hopefully stay on top of things.

Below is the recipe for my most favorite meal that my mom makes! I continually try to make it, but it never seems to reach the caliber that it does when she cooks it. Probably because I feel like everything tastes just a little bit better when you're not the one preparing the food. This time though, I did make a mistake! I used a regular yellow onion and not a Vidalia! I'm not a huge fan of onions, but Vidalia's are sweet and don't taste as strong as yellow onions...so needless to say I thought the Stroganoff tasted too "oniony"...but it was still good, just not PURRRFECT:)



Mom's Awesome Beef Stroganoff

1 and 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin or boneless top loin steak

3 tablespoons margarine or butter

Splash of Red Wine

1 & ½ cups beef broth (I use Campbells beef bouillon in a can)

2 Tablespoons ketchup

1 teaspoon salt

1 small clove garlic, finely chopped

8 ounces mushrooms, sliced

1 medium onion, chopped (about ½ cup) Vidalia is BEST!

3 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 cup sour cream

Directions

Cut beef tenderloin across grain into strips, each about 1 ½ X ½ inch. (for ease in cutting, partially freeze beef) Cook onions, garlic and mushrooms in margarine until onions are transparent not brown. Transfer this into another bowl then add meat to the skillet and brown meat in margarine. Add the vegetables back to skillet with the meat and sprinkle and mix in the flour. Cook for a minute to make sure the flour in incorporated. Add splash of red wine and then the beef bouillon; mix quickly to thicken. Add the ketchup and stir. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the sour cream. Heat just until hot – not boiling. Serve over wide egg noodles.





No comments: