Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pasta with Chicken and Olive Tomato Cream Sauce

I found this recipe on a blog I like to read that is all about eating healthy and exercising called Eat Live Run. It was very tasty! While I was cooking the sauce I was a bit leery of how it was going to turn out because I thought it smelled funny! But once Dave and I tasted it all concerns went out the window...it was great!! I'll definitely be making this again as a healthy alternative to pasta dishes with heavy cream sauces. Here is the link to the original recipe. The only thing I did differently was substitute another half can of chopped tomatoes for the chopped fresh tomatoes because the ones I purchased didn't look very good. I can't wait for tomato season!! I also used less pasta than it called for, I wanted more sauce and chicken and less noodles.


Pasta with Chicken and Olive Tomato Cream Sauce

Serves 4

3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into one inch cubes

1 tbsp olive oil

1 and 1/2 cans chopped tomatoes in juice

2 cloves garlic, sliced

1/3 cup kalamata olives, sliced

1/2 red onion, sliced thin

1 cup white wine

1/4 cup cream

2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped

sea salt and garlic salt to taste

6 oz whole wheat linguine (or whatever you prefer), cooked in boiling salted water

Directions

1. Season chicken with garlic salt, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Brown in saute pan with olive oil.

2. When browned, remove chicken and set aside. Add the can of chopped tomatoes, sliced garlic, olives and thinly sliced red onion to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes-10 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.

3. Add the white wine and simmer for another 5 minutes before adding the chicken back in.

4. Add the basil and the cream then toss with the hot, cooked pasta. Garnish with parmesan cheese!


And of course you MUST add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top because who doesn't love cheese!!:)




No comments: